4 weeks into semester break and here’s what I’ve done:
Shipped Ecomore Corp:
One of the greatest accomplishment is to see your crafted project go up online, even if there’s not much people viewing it. I’ve spent quite a bit of time making sure certain features work, and nothing beats the feeling of uploading the final product.
It’s not quite finished yet, there are still certain issues here and there, especially for mobile. (Now I know why people curse and swear over responsive web design, it really isn’t easy) Also, code quality. I believe my CSS is really messy, and that’s something to work on as well. I’ve put the project up on GitHub to manage issues, since I find that a very productive way of getting work done.
EPUB version of SICP:
After CS1101S, I’ve signed up for CS1010R, a 1MC research module that allows us to work on certain aspect of CS1101S in order to make it a better module. Being quite an avid user of EPUB myself, I decided to take on the challenge of creating an EPUB version of our textbook, SICP. The challenges that comes with this is:
- Our version of the textbook isn’t complete, so we have to make sure that it is easy to update to the latest EPUB version every time something new gets released
- With regards to 1, it means that the whole process has to be automated
- XML/XSL is a new thing to me, learning something so complex on the fly can be really daunting (It is, I’m still confused with how XSL works)
Nothing worth doing ever comes easy. This has been my main priority for the semester break.
What I do with the iHouse360 website is not amazing, but really developing an eye for detail. I’m tasked with settling some of the styling issues of the website. Also, it forces me to work with WordPress which even though I’m using to post this blog right now, I’ve yet to understand what’s going on under-the-hood. It requires me to learn quite a bit of PHP, so… I’m not sure where this would lead me. I’ve heard scary stories about PHP, most of it tells me to stay away from it.
Ahhh, my not-so-little side project. Remember I mentioned that I put Ecomore’s website up on GitHub to handle issues? Exactly, I figured that a better way of working on your side project is to create new issues yourself, and then fix them one by one. It’s like a to-do list, but a technical one.
It doesn’t only get work done, but also records them down in an organised way of how you progressed. Amazing tool, try it out yourself for any side projects of your own.
You could check out my progress here.
There’s my semester break so far, and I believe I have 3 more weeks to go. Certain things I should really get down to doing would be MIT 6.006, which I’m still stuck at lecture 5. I’m supposed to finish the course by this semester. Oh well, perhaps a break from academics would be better.
Time to binge-watch MIT-OCW.